The Student News Site of Aledo High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

“American Dream” gives an Album Everyone Dreamed About

With three studio albums, three collaborative albums, two mixtapes, three extended plays and 31 singles, he has done it all. He’s even won a Grammy for his 2018 album “I Am > I Was” which features “A Lot” and was nominated for six other Grammys. He’s the fourth rapper to reach 60,000,000 monthly listeners and over a billion streams on Spotify. 

British-American rapper 21 Savage dropped “American Dream” Jan. 21 and immediately hit number one on Billboard with this album. With 14 songs on this album, every song has a different beat and mellow tone. It’s more than just rap, he’s telling a story. 

“American Dream”: This song begins with Heather Carmillia Joseph, 21 Savage’s mother talking about her dedication toward her son. The and continues to tell the story of her life. With the idea of always working to provide him with the “American Dream” Carmillia ends the intro of the album with, “For my son to become a man and live free in his American Dream”.

“redrum”: For 21 Savage, sampling songs for his intro beat is nothing new. He uses songs from decades ago to songs that are newly released. At the beginning of “redrum”, the song “Serenata do Adeus” by Elza Laranjeira is sampled and tuned to a slowed beat to transition into a beat he can rap to. This new beat shocked all of social media. It takes true talent to sample a song from 1968 and transition it into a song in an album that has almost 42 million streams. 

“n.h.i.e”: Featuring Doja Cat, gives a POV of staying loyal and sticking with the principles of a relationship. This song has a majestic beat flow with a huge depth in the meaning of loyal relationships. 

With just a few songs listed, 21 Savage is by far the rapper who never fails to drop all album that can give his listeners what they’ve been looking for.