The Student News Site of Aledo High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

Dodge Discontinuing the Charger and Challenger

Why the Charger and Challenger are being discontinued

The Dodge Charger, known as the “Hellcat” loved by many is to be discontinued in December 2023, but why? As government restrictions increase, muscle cars such as the Charger and Challenger are struggling to stay afloat. 

According to Dodge, the government fines for not meeting the gas mileage requirements pushed them to switch to electric cars. The Dodge Charger has a 345 HEMI V8 engine which boasts up to 370 horsepower. This is an issue because of the amount of gas needed to fuel the Dodge which produces carbon footprints from combustion. Dodge is looking to move into making all-electric cars to make them more sustainable. Electric cars have zero emission rates which makes them look like the better option. 

In 2021 Dodge signed with Stellantis. Stellantis designs manufactures and sells automobiles with Dodge as well as 15 other automobile brands such as Abarth, Lancia, Fiat ProfessionalAlfa Romeo, Fiat Professional, Citroën, DS, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, Mopar, Opel, Chrysler, Peugeot, Ram and Vauxhall. Reportedly, the Charger and Challenger do not meet the Stellantis vision or requirements. 

Why people love the Charger and Challenger

It’s no exaggeration to say that Hellcats are one of the most popular sports cars on the market. The Dodge Challenger supercharged 6.2L HEMI SRT engine gets up to 717 horsepower. To put this into perspective, the average amount of horsepower on a sports car is 300 to 400. This means the Challenger can reach unbelievable speeds. The Hellcat also has unlimited customization options from their tints to wraps. The eerie look of SRTs on the road is what hooks their drivers.

Models of the Charger and Challenger that are still available

There are very few models of the Dodge Charger and Challenger still available. The list includes the Demon 170, which has 1,025 horsepower making it the fastest vehicle ever produced. The Black Ghost, which is brought back from the 70s. The Shakedown Special edition, which was recreated for 2023. The Swinger Special Edition and it’s a high-performance swinger model. The 345 R/T Fender Badge is the cubic inch designator on the historic 5.7L HEMI V8 engine. Finally, the Blacktop Special Edition, which has blacked-out exterior edges and interior accents.