UIL Students advance to Regionals after Saginaw meet

UIL academics teams competed in the 5-5A District Meet at Saginaw High School Saturday. Students who placed in the top three for any event will head to regionals April 20-22 in Lubbock.

The Numbers Sense team, consisting of sophomore Ethan Shattuck, junior Charlie Crites and seniors Taylor Sehnem and Tiaqin Puyang, won second place overall and Puyang took fourth place in the competition.

The Current Events team with sophomores Ethan Pelfrey, Grady Saunders and Kade Karcher and senior Jake Flowers took first place and earned a spot at regionals.

Senior Zachary Taylor is moving to regionals after placing third in the Calculator contest. He also placed fifth in Mathematics along with Puyang, who placed third and will compete in Lubbock.

Senior Olivia Fowler, coached by Mrs. Bishop and Mrs. Spencer, placed third in Prose. Mrs. Spencer also coached Literary Criticism and led her team of junior Josh Wheeler and seniors Arianna Schmitt, Amber Furlow and Molly Williams to second place overall.

Furlow also placed third in Social Studies and will go to regionals for that event. Sophomore Michael Kimball placed sixth place in Social Studies. Both Furlow and Kimball were coached by Mr. Collins. 

The journalism team of sophomore Madison Cook, juniors Cassidy Cole and Madison Scott and senior Ashlyn Poole took first place overall. Cook, Cole and Poole advanced to regionals under Mrs. Arnold and IMS teacher Mrs. Burke’s coaching. Cook placed first in News Writing and Cole took second. Poole placed first in Feature Writing and Cole placed second. Poole took second in Editorial Writing and Cole placed fourth. Poole also placed third in Headline Writing and fifth in Copy Editing. 

Juniors Reichen Brewer, Harrison Cornwell and Grant Wiggins and senior Jackson Adams placed first in Programming and will advance as a team.

Senior Abby Hudson took first place in LD Debate and sophomore Fatima Junaid placed second. Sophomore Sarah Miller also took first place in Extemporaneous Speaking.