No More Off Periods?

Beginning with the class of 2020, students will likely have no off periods junior year, as reported in a letter to parents of sophomores from Principal Dan Peterson. This is because the administration wants students to be better prepared to enter the military, trade school, the work force, or college, and because other school districts have similar schedules. The thinking behind the change is that any class a student may take to fill their schedule instead of having an off period will better prepare them for their future endeavors.

“I believe there are no extraneous classes at the high school; there’s never a class that’s a waste of your time, in my opinion,” Principal Dan Peterson said.

Traditionally, students had the opportunity to have one class off their junior year and two their senior year. This practice was greatly appreciated by students with busy schedules, difficult classes and lots of homework.

“Having an off period really helps me balance my work schedule, practices and homework,” junior Alexa Martin said. “I don’t know how I would keep up with all my work without an off period.”
While more classes have been offered to students, many do not make because of a lack of interest, and many others require prerequisites offered traditionally to freshmen. This has led some to question how they will fill their schedules.

“I regret not taking some electives as a freshman because now as a rising junior I feel like my choices are extremely limited,” sophomore Cameron Perry said.

Freshman year, students and parents are required to attend a meeting with the counselors in which students plan the classes they will take for the remaining three years of high school. While these plans can be altered each year, many students planned these schedules and have been sticking to them with the assumption that they would have off periods.

“As a freshman I made my four year plan, and now I have to change the last two years to take more electives,” sophomore Emma Nelson said.

Although juniors’ schedules may change, seniors will continue to be able to take up to two classes off if they have enough credits.

“I can’t say anything about maybe two or more years in the future, but for now, [removing seniors’ off periods] is not being discussed,” Mr. Peterson said.

This change is not set in stone; the administrative staff may choose to bring off periods back, but for the moment, next year’s juniors must fill all seven class periods. This decision will be finalized in May.

“We won’t know for sure until May at the earliest, but we’ll let everyone know by June,” Mr. Peterson said.