High School Adds New Classes for next Year

As students head into the second semester, they begin feeling the pressure to decide on classes for next year. For those staying in Aledo, they are many new options.

A class that has many excited is Advanced Floral Design. This class follows Principles of Floral Design, which was added last year. This year, students who wanted to continue their floral education had the option of taking Horticulture, but next year, students may either take a secondary Floral Design class or focus their studies by going straight to Advanced Floral Design.

Some students have expressed frustration over the schools’ lack of a dance program. Up through this year, there have been no dance classes during the school day, so students’ only option is to study it outside of school. However, that is changing next year, as an intro-level dance class will be available for students to sign up for. If enough students sign up for and enjoy the class next year, in the future the school may offer more advanced versions of the class, allowing students to take it for up to four years.

“Everyone should take dance next year,” freshman Ashley Garrett said. “I’m really excited that Aledo is offering it now, and I think it’s going to be really fun.”

Though there is no new journalism class being offered, they will all begin counting towards students’ Career and Technology Education credits next year. Additionally, they may count as speech credits for incoming freshmen, so students will be able to avoid taking the now-required speech classes that some students dread. All journalism classes: journalism; photojournalism; newspaper; and yearbook, will give students these CTE and speech credits. For students interested in newspaper and yearbook, it is recommended that they take a journalism or photojournalism class, whether high school or middle school, prior to joining.

“I’m excited to see the student media classes classified as career and technology because I think it will help the program grow,” journalism teacher and student publications adviser Mrs. Arnold said. “I am excited for the opportunities that will be available to students in the future.”