The Student News Site of Aledo High School

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

The Cat's Eye

Cheer Prepares for NCA Nationals and Results

The cheer team has had a fairly successful competition season. The new coach Sarah Burk, has changed many things this year, including making two competition teams. The black team will compete in the Varsity Game Day Large Division and the orange team will compete in the Game Day JV/Freshman Division. After a clean win last year at NCA State last year, cheer is preparing to take home the NCA National Championship on Jan. 20 and 21.

Coach Burk said she has a lot on her plate by taking on a new team. Staying organized throughout the cheer season is critical to staying on task, especially juggling between two teams.

I try my best to outline the year for the athletes and parents and go ahead and get everything on my calendar before tryouts,” Burk said. “I keep a planner that includes multiple years and make notes from year to year on what I need to do differently or what went well.” 

Feeling confident about the competition, Burk continues to work timely hours outside of practices to make sure the routines are spotless. 

“I watch film daily and make notes,” Burk said. “I communicate daily with my captain and my choreographer and rely on them for help.  I also send films to coaches from other teams and judges for feedback.  I have a fantastic circle of people that come alongside me to help throughout the season.”

Practicing for NCA Nationals is bittersweet, especially for senior Daniella Tregelles.

“It doesn’t seem real that this is my last performance,” Tregelles said. “I love the girls around me and competing with them. I have enjoyed getting close to all of the underclassmen this year so it doesn’t feel real that this is going to be my last time performing with them. I have enjoyed my last season as a senior and, sadly, the season is coming to an end.”

With her high school cheerleading career coming to an end, Tregelles and all of the seniors said they must give it their all at this final competition and show what the team can do as a whole.

Results of NCA Nationals:

After the weekend of NCA Nationals, the black team in division Varsity Game Day Large won fifth place overall from each category. The orange team in division JV/Freshman Game Day Large won overall first place from each category.