Senior Fills His Schedule

Senior+football+player+Jack+Johnson+prepares+to+go+on+the+field+at+their+game+against+Hillcrest.+

Randi Mendolia

Senior football player Jack Johnson prepares to go on the field at their game against Hillcrest.

The loud beeping of his alarm clock at the early hour of 5 a.m. wakes Jack for football practice. He is drained of energy from being out late the night before at his choir concert and taking photos for the yearbook. Nevertheless, he prepares for a long day of school and many after school activities. 

Senior Jack Johnson is a varsity football player as well as the male representative of the choir. He is also involved in the group GoodFellaz, and a part of the yearbook staff. In past years, he was also in theatre, student council and was the mascot. He is planning to join the tabletop game club this year and participate in the one act play. He is an important member of each group, and spends much more time at school than the average student. 

“I wanted to try everything. I had no idea what I liked and what I wanted to do, so I tried a little bit of everything to know what would make me the happiest,” Johnson said. 

Being involved in all of these extracurricular activities can take a toll on someone, and gets very stressful at times. However in some cases, it can be a good stress reliever. 

“I think it’s so interesting to get to meet so many interesting and amazing people. Sure it can be stressful because of conflicting schedules, but I wouldn’t give it up,” Johnson said. 

To avoid this type of stress and busy schedules, the average high school student maybe plays a sport or is involved in one activity, but Jack wanted to experience them all. 

“When football was still going I had practice every day before school Monday-Wednesday from 6:30 to 9 and then Thursday from 7:45 to 9 and on Friday would have to be after school from 4 to 10.During school I have choir meetings on Tuesdays and Good Fellaz on Thursdays. During school and after school I have to take photos and do interviews for yearbook,” Johnson said. 

Participating in all of these extracurricular activities has allowed Jack to make lots of memories and new friends, which is why he does not regret it despite the stress it may cause. 

“I got to have so many experiences. You see all these movies that describe high school and it’s usually a certain group and going through an experience, but I got to live through all the movies.  I’m so happy to have joined these groups and meet my closest friends,” Johnson said. 

After high school, Jack is planning to attend college and earn a degree in international business.

“I’m going to go to Frisco community college for two years, then to A&M to get an international business degree so I can travel around the world,” Johnson said.