Homecoming Shake-up

Homecoming dance changes in response to overcrowding

The annual homecoming dance will be limited to sophomores, juniors and seniors attending the high school. The decision to host a separate dance for the freshman was in response to the overcrowding of last year’s dance and the high demand for tickets.

Each year, 800 tickets are sold to students, which left many unable to attend. The school attempted to solve this cause of disappointment last year, but created new problems.

“Last year, the 800 ticket limit left too many students unable to purchase a ticket,” class of 2020 teacher sponsor Mary McClellan said. “We had to re-open the ticket sales and as a result had to have part of the dance in the practice gym in addition to the part of the dance in the cafeteria.”

However, this solution could not be permanent.

“Last year, most students migrated to the cafeteria rather than remaining in the practice gym and it created a situation difficult to monitor and insure safety,” McClellan said.

Because of the safety issues, and those that accompany an overcrowded cafeteria, only students in 10-12 grade at the high school will be able to attend. No students from other campus will be allowed to.

“We still are not able to open the ticket sales to students from other schools because we need to make sure that the needs of our AHS students are met first,” McClellan said.

Though some freshmen are unhappy with this decision, they are still offered a solution.

“Since the freshmen get to hold their own dance, the freshman class gets an early boost to their own fundraising efforts that previous classes have not had the luxury to benefit from,” McClellan said.

Students at Daniel Ninth grade can appreciate this. Many do not mind the freshman-only dance, though they have other requests.

“I’m fine with the separate dance, but I feel like other people should be able to join,” freshman Maycie Smith said.

Though not everyone is pleased, the school is trying to make fair and logical decisions that will allow students to enjoy the dance.

“Ultimately, I want the students, parents, and community members of Aledo ISD to know that our goal is to provide a safe and enjoyable dance for the students of Aledo High School,” McClellan said. “Even though the decisions are not ones that are desirable to all students, tough decisions have to be made to maintain the safety for students.”